Monday, September 5, 2011

There's the Wizard We Know and Love!

Being the tech-geek that I am, I admit I was missing my gaming buds... a LOT. I hadn't been in game in probably a month or two. Summer seems such a busy time for most of us, so we kind of slack on the gaming then, but this summer has really been busy for all of us.

Now, first of all, the whole internet situation here is driving me crazy. It works fine, until I try to add any extra ports. I reset the router to factory defaults to get rid of any conflicting networks (mine to be exact), and that seemed to work with the wireless situation. BUT... Apparently we have entirely too many devices running internet for our service. So, that will be another upgrade in the very near future. At least, I'm hoping that is all the problem is. My super-sonic epic techno-geek gut thinks it is anyway.

Oh and to update my last delusional post... I referred to my friend Heather's hubby as just that... I was wrong. I should have referred to him as her "Man-tastic husband!" Yes, I got called out on it, but it is true. He is the techno-geek extraordinaire! I have him on speed dial in my phone for any and all tech emergencies. I don't care if he does live in an entirely different time zone. ;)

Oh... and another person I failed to mention in my last post. The glorious Dunkin Donuts coffee that I am raving on and on about.. that is courtesy of my other techno-geek/gaming friend Tabitha. She sent me different types of coffee for Christmas a few years ago, and the DD was sooo good and addictive that I was hooked. She now sends me ginormous bags of it occasionally. So, the next few months' worth of DD coffee is made possible by her. ;)

Back to the gaming. I don't know that I've done a post about my gaming life. Which is odd considering my blog title is Ravings of an Insane GAMER Mom. Ok, so gamer doesn't describe me as a whole, but if you are a gamer... you ARE a gamer. Some of you know what I'm talking about.

My first experience with MMORPG's was EverQuest 2. I blame my youngest son's dad on that. I just watched him play and was fascinated by how cool it all was. Until the day he said "Here, sit down and you try it." Yep, that was all she wrote. That was probably 7 or 8 years ago. I had tried a few other games here and there, but nothing compared to that first love of EQ2. It was like another world where I could escape and forget my real world troubles for just a little while. At first it was a major addiction... I would play 7 hours and not even realize it. So, I can completely understand how it can be really bad for some people to get addicted to gaming.**  I have kids, however, and they tend to snap you back into the real world really quick and in a hurry whether you want to or not most of the time.

So, anyway, I see gaming in the big picture. There's real life... then there's gaming. Something to enjoy and have fun with. There's no reason to get worked up over it... it's a GAME. But, it sure is fun to play. It is my stress relief. Like some people sit down and relax with a glass of wine... I sit down and kill computer generated monsters. To each his own.

Now... like I said I've played EQ2 for over 7 years... until recently. A new game was starting up called RIFT. To that, I was also fascinated. The guild, Tabitha, Heather, Todd, and myself, all decided to give it a try. We were hooked. It was something different and it was fun. So, we all  left EQ2. I almost felt like I had abandoned a child though. I loved EQ2 that much. This weekend EQ2 had an event going on where you could come back for the weekend for free. Yep... we still LOVE that game. It's like going home. Now, the dilemma is which game to play?

So, there ya have it.... the gamer mom is back in action. Now, if I could just get my room decorated like my house in game... if only it were that easy.

**If you know anyone who has a real addiction to a game... please seek help. It's one thing to enjoy a game, but it's definitely another to let it consume your entire life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment