Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Happiest Job on Earth

No, I am not talking about Disney World. You would think so... or maybe Guy Fieri's job on the Food Network. (I'd be as big as a house if I had his job!) I have a pretty great job, but I wouldn't call it the happiest on Earth.

The job I speak of is a barista at Starbucks. Seriously. Have you EVER been to a starbucks and encountered a grumpy barista? I haven't. This should make Starbucks very proud. It should also make for difficult "Employee of the Month" choices.

Conversation yesterday with the bff while at the Starbucks drive thru:

Barista in the speaker: Heeey, how ya doing tonight?

BFF: Fine.

Barista: That's great! What can I get started for you?

Me (yelling across the car): Grande Mocha.

BFF: I'd like a tall white chocolate mocha with extra whip cream.

Barista: Allrighty... drive on around and I'll get your total for you.

Me: That chick doesn't sound old enough to work here.

BFF: Why do they always sound soooo happy??

Me: I KNOW!!

BFF: I have seen what Starbucks does to cats... It's like catnip! Maybe I need to work here so I can be happy all the time.

Me:  That's what I'm thinking.

Just as an fyi, I used to work in an espresso bar (two technically), and I wasn't nearly that happy. Maybe it's just the starbucks coffee. I did tremble a lot more then, which could be mistaken for pep. Maybe starbucks has recruiting sessions to find the people with the most pleasant of attitudes (I think that would be hard to find in this day and age). 

And... I don't know if it's just here or if it's like this everywhere but it seems everyone that works there (male and female alike) has an unusually higher pitched voice. Kinda like a soft spoken cheerleader on crack. I can do that voice... when I'm being sarcastic. But to pull that off all the time... wow. Those people have skills! It makes me want to have a tourette's outburst just to break the ooey gooey sweetness of it.

Example:

Barista: Would you like your receipt today?
Me: NOOO! Just gimme my damn coffee! ........ Chipper bitch.

And... they usually sound like they've been displaced.  Like they aren't really from here, or they were and left for years and came back so their accent is diminished. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot easier to understand them than the redneck that works at the chicken place down the road, if you can get past the sing song chipperness they have.

How are your local baristas? Are they a source of amusement for you as well?

Well, happy caffeinating friends! (Literally.)

No comments:

Post a Comment