Sunday, August 5, 2012

Arrivals and Other Craziness

So, it's been a while...again. Baseball and tournament season is finally wrapping up, so I am beginning to see the light of day once more. 

I have no idea what has been going on to blog about before this weekend, so I'll just go with that. And what a doozy it's been!

Let's see... Well, my sister has finally moved back home!! That is big, major news around here. Her hubby was medically retired from the Army, and they've moved back to Tennessee. Her journey here was a doozy, too.

As with the military, you don't know when you are coming home until they say you can go home. So, everyone had been sitting on pins and needles waiting for all of the paperwork and okays to be done.  When we finally got a date, they had to arrange everything.  Not to mention, they don't have a house.  Anyway, they packed up, made their painful and emotional farewells to their military family and friends, and then, of course, all of their furniture wouldn't fit into the trucks. So, my sister had to give away a lot of her stuff. (I can feel her pain since I just downsized and gave away or trashed 80% of my belongings less than a year ago.)  They start off on their trip, only for my sister's truck's air conditioning to stop working. They were in Kansas... it's like a million degrees out there. In turn, my sister's cat got overheated and got sick IN THE TRUCK. Needless to say, the trip didn't start off well. After a considerable delay, they get on the road only to have to stop at a hotel about 2 1/2 hours away from their first stop. Exhaustion had set in by then.

So, then, they travelled, made it to their first stop for a family visit, then got back on the road.  Apparently they misjudged the timing (stops for animal potty breaks, time zone differences, etc) and my sister texted me at 6:30 Saturday morning.  "We'll be there in 30 minutes. I need breakfast!" was the jist of it. So, at 6:45 I was up inhaling coffee and making bacon.

I was so happy to see half of the wagon train roll in front of the house!! They are FINALLY home!!!

In the meantime... my bff's daughter had been having pain and had to go to the hospital to be checked out by the ob unit. Her baby's due date was set for this coming week, but her doctor had said she could go at any time. I couldn't go with them since my sis and her family had just gotten here. They sent her home and said she would probably be back later in the night.

I was so exhausted from the day's happenings that I crashed and became comatose about 9:45 last night.
I woke this morning in a panic and checked my phone. There was a text from the bff, sent at almost 5 am. She was admitted, and at 7 cm. It was now after 8:00 am and I'm thinking "Crap!! I've slept through it all!!!" I finally text the bff's other daughter and sure enough... she'd had the baby at 8:07! So, I rushed and got ready and headed out to the hospital. I took a good 136 pictures. I got some baby cuddles in. Then we came home. I have dubbed myself the baby's Fairy God-Mimi. I'm sure there would be a long line of "god-mother" potentials, so I'll just be the back-up grandmother. Good idea, right?

My sis and her hubby came by and she was using my computer.

Backstory... Miss Thang kicked the brace loose on my desk a few days ago. I was hoping it would hold for a little while....

Apparently, not. We were all downstairs when we hear this HUGE crash and my sister screaming. I immediately imagined her falling down the stairs. And then the screaming stopped. Suddenly. Which made me think "OH SHIT, she's dead!" I jumped up to run to the stairs, and you know how cartoons show someone running but their feet aren't going anywhere... yeah, that's kinda what happened. My feet were sliding but yet my upper body was still going... so I almost ended up head first into the wall, table, and mirror. I caught myself, though.

I get to the bottom of the stairs and Shari is literally holding half of my desk up. By this point, she is laughing hysterically. Thanks sis for saving my monitor!! But, in the process, it scratched her leg up... and my camera hit the floor. I thought the camera was ok and didn't think about it again, until I got back to the hospital to take more baby  pictures and the darn thing wouldn't work.

My sister just texted me and said "I give up. A tv just fell on my  head."

Sigh. I think we need a vacation.

Until next time friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment