Friday, June 1, 2012

It's Been A Rough Day

Is it Friday the 13th? Is it a full moon? It's gotta be something. This has been just an awful day. I got up late, feeling like crap, but thinking, yay it's Friday. Until I got in my car and the stupid thing wouldn't start. My car's battery light has been coming on occasionally for the past two years, even after putting it in the shop for that several times and having multiple things "fixed" and/or replaced. So, I'm assuming it's the battery.

There are few things that really push me over the edge, but having car issues is one of them. Why, I'm not sure. It could be my "escape" being taken away. It could be all of the "help" and "opinions" I get when an issue arises. It could be that my independent, controlling self doesn't know enough on how to fix a car when something happens. Who knows. Most people think I am over-reacting... and I may be, but in my head it makes sense.

I have also learned a few things today. There are three types of people in this world. There are those when told about a problem, my car for example, who will be indifferent to the situation. Then there are those who will say "What can I do to help." Then there are those who flat out refuse to help. Of course there are varying degrees to all three. For example, the ones who are indifferent may or may not be persuaded to act. Those who want to help can possibly help "too much" or "not enough". And then the ones who flat out refuse... well, yeah, they're just assholes. I know some of all of these mentioned.

So, anyway, my step-dad and I couldn't find anyone to get a boost for my car, so we hooked up the battery charger. I call the office and let the co-peep know what's going on and say "If I can't get it boosted or going, I may need you to come get me." This is where the asshole type comes out. He (I'm sure it was meant jokingly) says "I'm not coming to get your ass." Wrong time, wrong place, and definitely WRONG mood to say that to me. By the time I had gotten off the phone with him, I was resigned to not go to work today and just go back to bed. Screw 'em... screw 'em all!!!

So, then I'm deliberating on what needs to be done. If it is the battery, I'm gonna need my paycheck to go buy a new one. So, I call the boss man. Of course, he is sympathetic, and comes to get me to take me to work. I get my paycheck and he offers to take me home and try to help me get my car started.

By this point, the car has been on a charger for several hours.  Still... nothing. The car won't start. They think it's not the battery after all. My brain is in overdrive thinking of all the worst case scenarios. How long will I be without a car? How much is this going to cost? How am I going to get it to a garage? So, I start a complete mental shut down. I throw in the towel and told the boss man we should just call it a day. He agreed and told me not to worry about going back to work, that I needed to get the problem straightened out.

I just want to go to bed. And sleep. And forget cars and work and money.

My step-dad is relentless, though. He gets the owner's manual and starts trying to figure it out. Luckily, his theories are correct. A fuse is blown. (I totally just said that in A Christmas Story voice.) He rigged it enough to get it started and I go straight to the auto parts store where I buy fuses (twice, since I got the wrong size the first time) and fixed the car... by myself... in the parking lot. Which, by the way, only cost a little over $4 to fix.

I go back to work and have another battle with the co-peep on my "womanly" emotions and ways. I will hurt him one day. I'm just sayin.

All worked out. And yet I was still frustrated and aggravated. My mood was calming a little. But not completely. So, I finally go to pick up the little man at his dad's. I pick some raspberries while I was there. And that moment was the most calm I had been all day.

Then I had to fight traffic back home. Blah. And if there is ONE person on the road who is actually doing the speed limit or FIVE BELOW it... I will and DID get stuck behind them. Sigh.

I came home... and went to bed. I had a couple of hours worth of sleep. I shared my berries with mom. I'm blindly eating them outta the bag, when I notice something wiggle in my mouth. Oh. My. God. I just ate a worm. And there was no tequila to be found. Bleeeech. I start gagging and spitting everywhere.

Later, I'm talking to the precious... catching up since we haven't seen each other all week... when I tell her the story about "topping off the worst day ever" with the worm eating. And THEEEN a freaking earth worm crawls through my toes. What. The. Heck.

That's it. I'm going to bed. I'm going to sleep until I can't sleep anymore. Then I'm going to get up and hope tomorrow is better than today was.

Now, if I could just get the kids to sleep. Sigh.

Until next time friends... g'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment